Cecily's book reviews

Breakdown At Tiffany's (and other stories)

Breakdown At Tiffany's (and other stories) - David Braga An enjoyable and intriguing collection of short stories: some funny, some sad, a few that are both, mostly dark and with a twist at the end to keep you guessing, and each one very different from the others.

There is a cracking old-fashioned chiller; one that starts off mundane and then toys with the reader as to whether it's magical, futuristic or all in the guy's imagination; murder mystery spoof, and others that are mainly comic, downright sinister, or just painfully poignant.

There are some lovely turns of phrase and images, and Braga is good at capturing different voices, and although some stories reflect the inspiration of well-known short-story writers (Dahl, Carver and Yates spring to mind), each is different, giving the collection a good balance between variety and consistency.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy