Cecily's book reviews

UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER

Unconditional Surrender - Evelyn Waugh Part 3 of Sword of Honour.

Back to form (like part 1): a better balance (for my taste) between army and civilian storylines, but still plenty of eccentric characters, some shady secrets and lots of amusing bureaucratic inefficiency (the "intelligence" officers who consistently misinterpret Guy's connections and flag him as dubious are rather like a comic riff of Kafka), sprinkled with thoughts of faith, loyalty and doubt in terms of religion, relationships, nationality and class.

I feared the ending was going to be too obvious and tidy, but I need not have worried: it was more interesting that I'd feared.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy